Thursday, March 19, 2009

Clarity updated!

Back in November, I blogged about how good it felt to buy tickets to Jimmy Eat World plays Clarity to celebrate the 10 year anniversary of its release.  

Sure the music's great.  But I can't even listen to it objectively anymore.  All I hear is the last 10 years.  The nights in the dorm I fell asleep to Goodbye Sky Harbor.  The days I walked around Washington Square Park wondering if I will ever feel like they felt in "For me this is Heaven", and if I would, who would be the one?  All the times driving down 287 to a show listening to Lucky Denver Mint.  In many ways, it was a lonely decade, but Clarity was always there.  This album was instrumental in keeping me who I am, despite having shelved it for a year or two in the middle because I was "too cool".  

So back in November, it felt great just buying the tickets.  Yeah try going to the show, and you will have Clarity too.  It was seriously, for real, one of the best nights I can ever remember, even though I had the flu.  It didn't matter, because I was there with my one, my friend, my "for me this is heaven."  I was there as myself, which was even better.  They played every single note of Clarity, all in order, and all tremendously.  They basically played every single sound of my youth, only without the bum notes.  I know this is getting a little tautological, but I just drank in every moment.  

For me it was heaven.

No comments: